Bendigo Area Highlights & Essential Things To Do
Discover Your Local Bendigo Area
Bendigo is one of Victoria’s most treasured heritage towns, dating back to the gold rush. Set apart from the modern high-rises of central Melbourne, Bendigo’s stone architecture and traditional gardens make this town number one on the list of places to go.
Chinese miners flocked to Bendigo during the gold rush, leaving behind their mark on the land. Visit the Golden Dragon Museum and gardens. There are plenty of Chinese costumes to check out and a lot of ancient traditions to learn about.
Central to Bendigo’s gold rush history is the Deborah Gold Mine. The unique mine attraction welcomes visitors to venture underground to truly learn and experience what mining operations were like during the gold rush. The brave hearted can descend up to 228 metres – this is definitely one of Bendigo’s most unforgettable activities. It’s no wonder this place was twice awarded the Cultural Tourism Attraction of the Year!
We are all familiar with Melbourne city’s tram network, but did you know Australia’s oldest operating Tram Depot is located right here in Bendigo? Hop on Bendigo’s ‘Talking’ Tram, listen to stories of history and jump off when you find a place of interest! Taking the tram is the easiest and most stress-free way to explore every inch of the 3,000 square kilometres of Bendigo!
Did you know that the very first Myer store was opened in Bendigo? It is still here today along with strips of boutique and antique shops. An abundance of restaurants and accommodation options also line the streets, patiently awaiting your arrival after your jam-packed day of activities. Only a 90 minute drive from Melbourne, there is no excuse not to visit Bendigo at least once!
Bendigo Events & What's On
- Mark Brandi: Small Town. Big Secret - Wimmera (High Road to Reading) - Gisborne Gisborne Library
- Mark Brandi: Small Town. Big Secret - Wimmera (High Road to Reading) - Bendigo Bendigo Library
- Anitra Nelson: Small is Necessary - Castlemaine Castlemaine Library
- Mark Brandi: Wimmera (High Road to Reading) - Wedderburn Wedderburn Community House
- Library Logistics: Borrowing online books - Online Learning Workshop - Axedale Axedale Hall
- Library Logistics: Borrowing online books - Online Learning Workshop - Pyramid Hill Pyramid Hill Neighbourhood House
Bendigo Top Picks & Articles
The Unforgettable Great Southern Rail
Looking for a way to travel and explore our great and vast sunburnt country in style, comfort, and ease? The Great Southern Rail provides three railway services tailored to unconventional traveller...